John Speller's Web Pages Hull & South Yorkshire Extension Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Hull & Barnsley Railway

Hull & South Yorkshire Extension Railway
The Hull & South Yorkshire Extension Railway ran from Wrangbrook Junction on the main line of the Hull & Barnsley Railway via Hickleton and Thurnscoe to Wath, where it terminated at right angles to the Great Central Railway. It was promoted by a number of colliery owners including owners representing the Manvers Main Colliery Company, the Hickleton Main Colliery, the Wath Main Colliery, and the Warncliffe Silkstone Colliery. Junctions with other collieries in Maltby and Rotherham were never built. The line, which was just over 8 miles long, was authorized by an Act of 6 august 1897, and was taken over by the Hull & Barnsley Railway under an Act of 25 July 1898. The line opened to goods traffic on 31 March 1902 and to passengers on 28 August 1902. Passenger trains ran through to Kirk Smeaton on the Hull & Barnsley Railway. Passenger traffic ended on 6 April 1929, goods traffic ended between Wath and Hickleton on 2 October 1933, between Hickleton and Moorhouse on 31 May 1954 and the rest of the line closed on 1 October 1963.
1910 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram with the Hull & South Yorkshire Extension Railway picked out in purple
Following the takeover of the Hull & Barnsley Railway by the North Eastern in 1922 Stirling's "G-3" Class 0-6-0 tanks were fitted with new boilers and reclassified as Class "J-75". The first ones so treated were put to work on the Wath Branch. No. 2145 is shown here in North Eastern livery at about the time of the Grouping
Wrangbrook Junction signalbox
Another class frequently used on the Wath Branch was Stirling's "F-2" Class 0-6-2T (LNER Class "N-12")
Site Contents Untitled