John Speller's Web Pages Mid-Wales Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge
Mid-Wales Railway
The The Mid-Wales Railway was incorporated by an Act of 1 August 1859 to build a railway from Llanidloes on the Llanidloes and Newtown Railway to Llandovery. An extension from Newbridge-on-Wye via Three Cocks Junction to Tallyllyn Junction was authorized on 3 July 1860. The Builth Wells Road to Llandovery section was eventually built by the London & North Western Railway, but the rest of the line from Llanidloes to Tallyllyn Junction (with running rights over the Brecon & Merthyr Railway to Brecon) was opened on 23 August 1864. One of its claims to fame was that the diarist, the Rev. Francis Kilvert (1840-1879) was Vicar of St. Harmons and lived at Rhyader, so that he spent much of his time traveling to and from work on the Mid-Wales Railway. The line formed part of an important link from Manchester to Brecon and Swansea, and from 2 April 1888 was worked by Cambrian Railways, which formally took over the line on 24 June 1904. It passed with the rest of Cambrian Railways to the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922. The line was closed on 31 December 1962.
Map of the Mid-Wales Railway
Southbound goods train on the Mid-Wales line behind Dean Goods 0-6-0 No. 2351 near Doldowlod in 1949. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Erwood station in around 1957 with Ivatt 2-MT 2-6-0 No. 46515 in charge of a passenger train on the Mid-Wales line. Image Copyright Erwood Station Craft Centre and Gallery and licensed for reuse under this Attribution-NonCommercial License
Southbound passenger train on the Mid-Wales line behind Dean Goods 0-6-0 No. 2483 at Llanidloes in 1949. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled