John Speller's Web Pages Wolverhampton & Kingswinford Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge

Wolverhampton & Kingswinford Railway
The Wolverhampton & Kingswinford Railway, otherwise known as the Kingswinsford Branch and sometimes as the Wombourne Branch, was one of the Great Western Railway's shortest lived lines. It was authorized by the Great Western Railway (General Powers) Act of 1909. Construction began in 1912, but was suspended owing to the outbreak of the First World War, and the line did not finally open until 13 May 1925. The line was essentially a loop line off the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway and ran south from Aldersley Junction, just north of Dunstall Park, the first station north of Wolverhampton Low Level, to Kingswinford Junction, just north of Brettall Lane, the first station north of Stourbridge Junction. There were intermediate stations at Tettenhall, Compton Halt, Penn Halt, Wombourn, Himley, Gornal Halt, Pennsnett Halt, Bromley Halt and Brockmoor Halt. Traffic was a great disappointment and the line closed to passenger traffic on 31 October 1932, and to goods traffic in 1965.
Great Western System Map showing the Kingswinford Branch and connections
Southbound freight train on the Kingswinford Branch at Aldersley Junction behind "Hall" Class 4-6-0 No. 4900 "Hinderton Hall" on 4 September 1962. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Himley station under construction in 1914
The former Wombourne station on 2 December 2006. Image Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled