John Speller's Web Pages Wharncliffe Viaduct

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge

Wharncliffe Viaduct
Located between Hanwell and Southall, Middlesex, Brunel's Wharncliffe Viaduct, constructed in 1836-1837 was the first major engineering work of the Great Western Railway. The viaduct consists of eight elliptical arches, each seventy feet span, and seventeen feet six inches rise; the piers are composed each of two square pillars of brick, slightly pyramidal, and of somewhat Egyptian character. The base of each pier stands upon an area of 262 feet; the total length of the viaduct is 900 feet; the breadth between the parapets 30 feet. It after Lord Wharncliffe, who was Chairman of the Lords' Committee upon the Great Western Railway Bill, and its principal supporter in the Upper House. Upon the south face of the parapet are set up the Wharncliffe arms, sculptured in stone. Lord Wharncliffe's son was later the Deputy Chairman of the Great Central Railway.
Wharncliffe Viaduct in J. C. Bourne's lithograph of 1846
The "Cornish Riviera Limited" composed of Centenary Stock behind a "King" Class 4-6-0 crossing Wharncliffe Viaduct in around 1935
Wharncliffe Viaduct under construction in 1836 showing the wooden centering prior to removal
The opening of Wharncliffe Viaduct in 1838
Site Contents Untitled