John Speller's Web Pages Manson 4-4-0 No. 11

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Manson 4-4-0 No. 11
James Manson's 4-cylinder 4-4-0 locomotive No. 11 was built at the G&SWR's Kilmarnock Works in 1897. Manson had originally intended it to be a compound (which doubtless explains why the inside and outside cylinders were of different sizes), but changed his mind and produced it with four high-pressure cylinders, making it the first 4-cylinder simple in Britain. As built the boiler did not prove up to the task of keeping all four cylinders supplied with steam, so in 1922 R. H. Whitelegg rebuilt it with a larger boiler, at which time it was given the number 394 and the name "Lord Glenarthur."

As constructed, the four cylinders were in line and drove on the front axle. Two outside cylinders were 12 in. 24 in., and the inside ones 14 in. x 26 in. The driving wheel diameter was 6 ft. 9 in., which with a boiler pressure of 165 lb./sq. in. gave a tractive effort of 15,860 lb. As rebuilt by Whitelegg the diameter of the outside cylinders was increased 14 in. and the diameter of the inside cylinders reduced to 14 in., though the strokes remained respectively 24 in. and 26 in. The boiler pressure was increased to 180 lb./sq. in., giving a tractive effort of 18,390 lb. The locomotive was withdrawn by the LMS in 1934.
G&SWR No. 11 in works gray as built
Diagram showing the layout of the cylinders and motion of Manson's No. 11
Manson 4-cylinder 4-4-0 No. 11 built 1897 on a St. Pancras express at Etterby, near Carlisle, at the turn of the century before rebuilding by Whitelegg
4-cylinder 4-4-0 No. 11, as rebuilt by Whitelegg in 1922, as No. 394, "Lord Glenarthur." Sir Matthew Arthur, Bart., First Baron Glenarthur (1852-1928) was the last Chairman of the G&SWR
Site Contents Untitled