John Speller's Web Pages Kirkcudbright Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR
Kirkcudbright Railway
The Kirkcudbright Railway was incorporated by an Act of 1861 to build a 10-mile line from Castle Douglas on the Castle Douglas & Dumfries Railway to Kirkcudbright. The authorized capital was 60,000 in 10 shares, with powers to borrow an additional 20,000. The Glasgow & South Western Railway subscribed 15,000, the Castle Douglas & Dumfries Railway 5,000 and the Town Council of Kirkcudbright 3,000. The company was an entirely local affair, and the Directors were all local businessmen. The Chairman was David Maitland of Barcapel, Kirkcudbright, and the Secretaries were W. H. and D. M. McLellan. The Engineers were Wylie & Pedie, C.E., of Edinburgh. In common with the nominally-independent Castle Douglas & Dumfries Railway, the Kirkcudbright Railway was to be worked by the Glasgow & South Western Railway from the first. The line was opened for goods traffic on 17 March 1864 and to passenger traffic shortly thereafter. It merged with the Glasgow & South Western Railway under an Amalgamation Act of 1865. A century later the Kirkcudbright Railway closed under the Beeching Axe in 1965.
Map of the Kirkcudbright Railway and connections
Tongland Viaduct consisted of three stone arches, a central box girder section, and two stone arches at the other end. Only the stone arches now survive
Passenger train at Castle Douglas station behind Manson 4-4-0 No. 436 in around 1914
Territorials from the Royal Field Artillery leaving Kircudbright for the front four days after Britain declared war, 8 August 1914
Site Contents Untitled