John Speller's Web Pages Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR and CR Joint
Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway Untitled Untitled
In 1837 the Glasgow, Paisley, Kiimarnock, and Ayr (later the Glasgow and South Western), and the Glasgow, Paisley, and Greenock (later the Caledonian), were each incorporated. Between Glasgow and Paisley the two lines were laid out in nearly the same route. and the promoters agreed that that part of the latter company's line should be dropped, and that of the former company made a joint line, managed by a committee of eight directors, four from each company. The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock, and Ayr Acts of 1837 and 1840 regulated the line, while slight amendments of these Acts applicable to the line were also contained in that company‘s Acts of 1842 and 1845.

The Glasgow & South Western Railway Additional Powers Act of 1861, authorized a junction of that company's Paisley and Renfrew Railway with the joint line, and allowed the joint line running powers over the Renfrew line from the junction to Abercoru Station, Paisley, and Renfrew station.

The Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Act of 1864 authorized, among other things, the formation of the Govan Branch. and empowered the two companies to raise £70,000 in shares and £23,200 on loan, in equal proportions. The Govan Branch left the main line at Ibrox and opened to Govan in 1868.

The Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Act of 1874 authorized the widening of the main line to a point near Paisley passenger station, and also the opening up of Arkleston tunnel. Each company empowered to raise £100.000 in shares, and £33.300 on loans.

The Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Act of 1883 authorized the widening of the main line through Paisley passenger station, and also the enlarging of that station. Each company was empowered to raise £60,000 additional capital. and to borrow £20,000. Another branch which became the Princes Dock Joint Railway was added in 1903; it also left the main line at Ibrox. In the case of this line the North British Railway had 1/3 ownership. The Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway was nominally owned by the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. It was incorporated on 6 August 1897 and opened on 1 June 1903. At the same time goods branches were also built to service traffic on the River Clyde at King's Inch and Shieldhall. The Caledonian Railway and the Glasgow and South Western Railway were each solely responsible for running passenger services to Renfrew Porterfield for six-month blocks, after which the other company took over for six months. This arrangement ran from 1903 to 1907; after that passenger services were provided solely by the Glasgow and South Western Railway.

The branches closed under British Railways ownership, but the main line of the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway was electrified as part of the Ayrshire Electrification in 1967.
Clearing House Junction Diagram of the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway and associated Branch Lines
Gilmour Street Station, Paisley, 19 July 2008. Image © copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Bridge Street Station, Glasgow, original terminus of the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway, 7 August 2007. Image © copyright Stephen Sweeney and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Abercorn Bridge, Paisley, with Gilmour Street Station in the background. Image © copyright Geof Sheppard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled