The Girvan & Portpatrick Junction Railway was authorized by an Act of 5 July 1865 to build a 31-mile line from Girvan, terminus of the Maybole & Girvan Railway, to Challoch Junction, eight miles east of Portpatrick on the Portpatrick Joint Railway. The Engineer was Alexander Galloway of Glasgow. Work began in 1871, and the line, worked by the Glasgow & South Western Railway, opened throughout on 5 October 1877, providing a link between Glasgow St Enoch, Ayr, and Stranraer and Portpatrick. Under the Girvan & Portpatrick Junction Railway Act of 1872, the company was given running rights over the Portpatrick Joint from Challoch Junction to Stranraer and Portpatrick. The line had cost the ridiculous sum of £532,900 17s 11d, and found itself unable to pay the fees to the Portpatrick Joint for running into Portpatrick station. Unable to pay court-ordered back fees and interest to the tune of £9,056 17s 9d, the company on 7 February 1882 was found insolvent, temporarily banned from running trains from Challoch Junction to Stranraer and Portpatrick, and ordered by the court to be sold off. It was initially sold for £155,000 to a London syndicate, the Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway, and subsequently resold to the Glasgow & South Western Railway for £235,000. In light of its impecunious beginnings, it is nothing short of a miracle that the line from Girvan to Challoch Junction and Stranraer is still operating in the twenty-first century, half a century after the closure of all the other lines in south-west Scotland! A video of two “Black Fives” on the "Great Britain III" express in 2010 can be seen leaving Girvan and climbing to Pinmore Tunnel here, and crossing Kinclair Viaduct, Pinmore
here. The two "Black Fives," 44871 & 45407, can be seen near Barrhill burning far too much coal on the same trip here.