John Speller's Web Pages Other G&SWR Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Other G&SWR Locomotives
James Stirling (1835-1917) was the son of the Rev. Robert Stirling (of "Stirling Cycle" fame) and brother of Patrick Stirling, whom he succeeded as Locomotive of the Glasgow & South Western Railway in 1866. In 1878 he left Kilmarnock for Ashford, where he became Locomotive Superintendent of the South Eastern Railway, remaining until his retirement in 1898.

James Smellie (1840-1891) was born in Ayr 1840 and apprenticed on the G&SWR at Kilmarnock Works. He became Locomotive Superintendent of the Maryport & Carlisle Railway in 1870, but returned to Kilmarnock as Locomotive Superintendent in 1878, a post which he held until his death in 1891. He was succeeded by James Manson.

Robert Harben Whitelegg. The last G&SWR Chief Mechanical Engineer, Robert Harben Whitelegg (1871-1957) started work under his father, Thomas Whitelegg, who was the Locomotive Superintendent of the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway. After working for Nasmyth, Wilson's Spanish branch, he returned to the LT&SR in 1910 to succeed his father as Locomotive Superintendent, only to find that the Midland Railway bought the LT&SR out in 1912. This was an enormous blow to the Great Eastern Railway who had always worked very closely with the LT&SR but were too impecunious to put in a rival bid. It was also a blow to Whitelegg, who quit rather than work for the Midland Railway in a subordinate position. Meanwhile, he had managed to produce a large 4-6-4 tank for the LT&SR in 1912, but this unfortunately proved too heavy to be allowed on the viaducts outside Liverpool Street Station, which rather limited its usefulness. In 1918 Whitelegg was fortunate enough to get the post of Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Glasgow & South Western Railway, where he built his famous 4-6-4 tanks and also did a splendid rebuild of the Manson 4-cylinder 4-4-0 No. 11 as No. 394 "Lord Glenarthur." However, history repeated itself in 1923 when the G&SWR was amalgamated into the LMS, and Whitelegg quit once more. G&SWR locomotives were phased out fairly rapidly by the LMS since the Caledonian was dominant in Scotland, and G&SWR boiler designs became non-standard. Whitelegg, however, landed on his feet and got a much better job as General Manager of the locomotive building firm Beyer, Peacock & Co. And good for him!
With their massive appearance and blued and burnished boiler, Robert Harben Whitelegg's "540" Class Baltic tanks were impressive to say the least. No. 541 was built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1922. It is shown here outside Glasgow St Enoch station shortly after going into traffic
James Stirling 2-4-0 No. 104 at Dumfries in 1909. Note the gong, operated by the communication cord from the train, and the pump for the Westinghouse brake
Smellie "Large Bogie" Class 4-4-0 No. 68 at Carlisle Citadel
A color postcard view of Whitelegg "540" Class 4-6-4T No. 545. Note the burnished steel boiler casing
Site Contents Untitled