The Caledonian Railway began in the 1830s as part of an effort to link a number of local railways around Edinburgh and Glasgow with the rest of the British rail system. The company's West Coast Main Line was the first to link Edinburgh and Glasgow with London. The company had a distinctive livery -- light blue for its locomotives and purple lake and white for its coaches. The locomotive works was at St Rollox near Glasgow. Owing to legal difficulties the company did not become part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway until 1 July 1923.