John Speller's Web Pages Barbados

John Speller's Web Pages - Railway History
The Barbados Railway was first projected as early as1845 but construction did not begin until August 1877. The 3 ft. 6 in. gauge line opened as far as Carrington on 20 October 1881 and was completed to Belleplaine in August 1883. The gauge was changed to 2 ft. 6 in. Between 1897 and 1898. The original British tank engines, two supplied by the Avonside Engine Company and two by the Vulcan Foundry, proved inadequate and the opportunity was taken to replace them by four Baldwins at the timeof the change of gauge. The goods traffic consisted mainly of commodities connected with the sugar and paper industries,but passenger traffic was never substantial. Following a long history of miscalculation and mismanagement the line closed in March 1937.

After a hiatus of 80 years a section of the line has been reopened as a heritage railway. A video of the St. Nicholas Abbey Heritage Railway may be seen on YouTube.
Map of the 2 ft. 6 in. gauge Barbados Railway
Postcard view of a passenger train at Bathsheba station on the Barbados Railway
Barbados Railway locomotive No. 3, built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1898
Train on the Jose River Bridge by the Edgewater Hotel on the Barbados Railway
Site Contents Untitled