John Speller's Web Pages Stockbridge & Pittsfield Railroad

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Stockbridge & Pittsfield Railroad Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Stockbridge & Pittsfield Railroad was incorporated in Massachusetts on 20 March 1847 to build a 21.9 mile line from Stockbridge to Pittsfield, Mass. It opened for traffic on 1 January 1850, and was operated by the Housatonic Railroad for a period of 99 years under an agreement of 25 January 1850. The line fell into place as the last section of the Housatonic Railroad's main line from Whiteplains, New York to Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The Housatonic Railroad acquired the Stockbridge & Pittsfield Company in 1874, and the Housatonic was in turn acquired by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad in 1898, morphing into Penn Central in 1969 and Conrail in 1976.

Lenox Station burned in 1902 and was replaced by a new structure by the New Haven Railroad, which is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The station is currently the home of the Berkshire Scenic Railroad Museum, which for some years ran scenic train rides over the Stockbridge to Lenox section of the line. The line is now only used for freight by the present-day Housatonic Railroad. It is a pity that a rail connection cannot be provided to Pittsfield, which would allow interchange with the Amtrak "Lake Shore Limited" between Boston and Chicago.
Map of the Stockbridge & Pittsfield Railroad Railroad
Builder's photograph of Rogers 10-wheeler supplied to the Housatonic Railroad in 1890. Note the uneven spacing of the driving wheels
Local train at Stockbridge Railroad Depot in around 1910. Designed by architect Frank Walker in the Richardsonian style in 1893, the depot operated as a passenger station until 1960. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress
Lenox Station, built 1902, and now the Berkshire Scenic Railroad Museum. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled