John Speller's Web Pages South Shore Line

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Chicago South Shore Line Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad began as an interurban electric railway in 1903 to connect East Chicago, Indiana with South Bend, Indiana. Services were subsequently extended from Kensington into Chicago in cooperation with the Illinois Central Railroad. Samuel Insull (1859-1938) gained control of the line after 1916 and ran it in conjunction with the Chicago Aurora & Elgin Railroad, and the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad, in which he also had a controlling interest. Unlike the other two lines, however, the South Side line is still very successfully in operation.

The present management of the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad took over following bankruptcy in 1989 and separated the passenger and freight sides of the business. The company has also taken over the Indianapolis, LaPorte & Michigan City Railroad and the Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville Railroad, formerly part of the Nickel Plate system, running from Michigan City to Dillon and formerly part of the Burlington Northern system. Meanwhile passenger service on the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad has since 1989 been operated by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District.
Map of the South Shore Line drawn by J. Vittes. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The South Shore Line was famous in the 1920s for its posters advertizing the delights of the Indiana Dunes to the tourists of Chicago
One of the original electric cars at Hudson Lake in a postcard view of around 1910
Hegewisch station on the South Shore Line. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled