John Speller's Web Pages Pontiac, Oxford & Northern Railroad (GTR)

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Pontiac, Oxford & Northern Railroad (GTR) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
Variously known as the "Polly Ann", and, less kindly, as the "Poor, Old & Neglected," the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern was chartered on 24 September 1889, under the general laws of the State of Michigan, for the purpose of acquiring the railroad formerly owned by the Pontiac, Oxford and Port Austin Railroad. The latter had been incorporated on 28 July 1879 as the Oxford and Port Austin Railroad Company. The name was changed on 15 January 1880. The line went bankrupt and was sold on 5 June 1889, to Hugh Porter and others, who in turn sold it to the Pontiac, Oxford and Northern on 24 September 1889. The Pontiac, Oxford and Northern was a single-track, standard-gauge, steam railroad, situated entirely within the State of Michigan, extending from Pontiac to Caseville, 99.894 miles. The company also owned 12.105 miles of yard tracks and sidings, or a total of 111.999 miles of all tracks. For much of the line's existence there was a thrice-weekly mixed train. The line was absorbed by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1909 at an outlay of $400,000. Traffic was withdrawn in 1955 and the line was later pulled up.
Map of the Pontiac, Oxford & Northern Railroad
Train behind 4-4-0 locomotive No. 10 at the PO&NRR Dryden depot circa 1910
GTR Locomotive No. 2533 (ex-PO&NRR No. 10) at the Union Station in Pigeon, Michigan, in the summer of 1910
A bustling scene at the PO&NRR depot in Imlay City, circa 1910
Site Contents Untitled