John Speller's Web Pages Port Huron and Northwestern Railway (Pere Marquette Railroad)

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads

Port Huron and Northwestern Railway (Pere Marquette Railroad) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The 3-foot-gauge Port Huron and Northwestern Railway (Pere Marquette Railroad) was was chartered on 23 March 1878 by a group of businessmen in Port Huron, Michigan. The first section, between Port Huron and Croswell, opened on 12 May 1879. The PH&NWR's main line eventually stretched 91 miles from Port Huron to Saginaw and was completed on 21 February 1882. There were branches to Sand Beach (13 September 1880), Almont (3 October 1882) and Port Austin (11 December 1882). The Port Huron and Northwestern Railway became part of the Pere Marquette Railroad on 1 April 1889, following which it was converted to 4' 8" gauge.
Map of the Port Huron & Northwestern Railway excerpted from the Pere Marquette Railroad system map
The handsome stone-built Port Huron & Northwestern depot at Bad Axe in a postcard view of around 1910
The Port Huron & Northwestern Railway's passenger station at Port Huron in 1883
Postcard view of the Port Huron & Northwestern terminus at Harbor Beach
Site Contents Untitled