John Speller's Web Pages North Shore Line

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Chicago North Shore Line Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad was a smart little interurban electric line running between Chicago and Milwaukee. It began in 1891 as Waukegan & North Shore Rapid Transit Company, which soon morphed into the Chicago and Milwaukee Electric Railroad. It became the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad following reorganization in 1916 and was run by Samuel Insull (1859-1938), who also controlled the Chicago Aurora & Elgin Railroad, and the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad, and ran them in cooperation with each other. The Skokie Valley line was added in 1924-26. The North Shore Line operated on the 650V DC overhead electric system. The lines heyday came in 1941 with the introduction of the 90 mph "Electroliner" expresses. Although less and less profitable, the railway was maintained in first class order and the most efficient service was maintained until 21 January 1963, its very last day of operation. At the end of the work day the line was simply locked up for the night as usual and never reopened.
Map of the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee at the time of the Chicago "Century of Progress" Exhibition of 1933
North Shore Line single electric car No. 700 at North Chicago in the late 1950s. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
One of the two dinctinctive blue-and-red streamlined "Electroliner" trains built by the St. Louis Car Company for the North Shore Line in 1941. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Kenosha station typified the elegant, airy ethos of the North Shore Line. The similar Dempster Street, on the Skokie Valley line has been preserved as a Starbucks and is on the National Register of Historic Places
Site Contents Untitled