John Speller's Web Pages Flint River Railroad (Pere Marquette RR)

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads

Flint River Railroad (Pere Marquette Railroad) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Flint River Railroad was chartered on 6 December 1871 to build a 14 mile 32 chain line from Horton, near Flint, Michigan, to Otter Lake to serve the local logging industry. There were depots at Flint, Flint River Junction, Genesee, Rogers, Otisville and Otter Lake. The line became part of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad on 4 June 1872 and opened on 8 October 1872, becoming the Otter Lake Division of the that company, which reorganized following bankruptcy under the name of the Pere Marquette Railroad on 1 November 1899. The section of the line between Fostoria and Otisville, a distance of 9 miles 64 chains, was abandoned in 1933, and the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, successor to Pere Marquette, abandoned the remainder in 1972. Part of the latter is now operated as the 3-foot gauge heritage Huckleberry Railroad, under the auspices of the Genesee County Parks service.
Map of the Otter Lake Division of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad in 1876
Otisville station around 1910 with a local passenger train behind Pere Marquette "M-3" Class 2-6-0 No. 262, built by Brooks in 1898
The Pere Marquette Railroad station at Flint, Michigan, in a postcard view of around 1914
Another postcard view of the Pere Marquette station in Flint, at about the same date as the one above. Note the characteristic round-headed windows of the Pullman parlor cars, built for the Pere Marquette Railroad in 1905. These lavishly comfortable clerestory-roofed vehicles possessed rounded vestibules with large curved plate glass windows, giving onto an exceptionally spacious observation platform at the end of the train.
Site Contents Untitled