John Speller's Web Pages Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The third of Samuel Insull's trio of Chicago interurban electric railroads, the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad, operated from 1902 to 1957 and served the western suburbs of Chicago, reaching to Aurora, Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, and Elgin. Unlike the North and South Shore lines, the "Roarin' Elgin" or "Great Third Rail" was built on the third rail system rather than collecting its power from overhead lines.
Map of the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad in 1936. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
CA&ER train at Warrenville in around 1920
Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad electric car No. 398 preserved at Illinois Railway Museum. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Samuel Insull (1859-1938), the local entrepreneur who ran three interurban electric railroads around Chicago and gave the city its Opera House in 1929. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled