John Speller's Web Pages Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The first street railway in Port Huron was the Port Huron and Gratiot Railway, whose plan was approved by the city council on 21 November 1865, though since some of it passed over military land it was necessary to wait a year to obtain Congressional approval before the scheme could proceed. The establishment of the rival City Railway Company in 1873 led to some turf disputes that were only resolved by the merger of the two companies as the Port Huron Railway in 1877. The company became one of the first in the world to introduce electric traction on 15 October 1886, whereupon it was renamed the Port Huron Electric Street Railway. In 1900 it joined up with the Port Huron, St. Clair and Marine City Railway Company, which also ran interurban rapid transit service between Detroit and Mount Clemens, at which time it was again renamed the Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway. The run from Detroit to Port Huron was a total distance of 64.5 miles, and the fare was 95 cents in 1900. The Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway was taken over by the Detroit United Railway in 1901. But heavy competition from road transportation led to its closure in 1926.
Map of the Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway, 1913
On 9 June 1917 there was a head-on collision between two Interurban Rapid Transit electric trains one-and-a-half miles north of St. Clair, Michigan. Two employees and two passengers were killed and five employees and twenty-two passengers were seriously injured. There was no block signalling on the line and for crossing trains on single-line sections there was a reliance on the timetable and additional train orders that were telephoned at irregular intervals along the line. No wonder there were accidents!
Interurban car at St Clair, Michigan, in around 1920. Image copyright UpNorth Memories - Donald (Don) Harrison and licensed for reuse by this Creative Commons License
Front of Detroit & Port Huron Shore Line Railway Car. No. 7250 in around 1920. These cars were probably a product of the Detroit works of the American Car Company.
Site Contents Untitled