John Speller's Web Pages Chicago & Aurora Railroad

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Chicago & Aurora Railroad Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Aurora Branch Railroad was incorporated by an Act of the State of Illinois on 12 February 1849 to build a branch from the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad to Aurora, and this opened on to traffic on 2 September 1850. The company was renamed Chicago & Aurora Railroad and given additional powers to extend their line from Aurora to Mendota, a point north of LaSalle by an Act of 22 June 1852. This extension opened on 20 October 1853. Another Act of 28 February 1854, authorized the company to build east from Aurora to Chicago via Naperville, and the name of the company was changed again to the Chicago & Southwestern Railroad. These powers were allowed to lapse and were repealed by an Act of 14 February 1855, which instead changed the name to Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q). The Aurora-Chicago line was opened on 20 May 1864, by which time the CB&Q had also acquired a main line from Chicago to Galesburg, where it split into branches for Burlington and Quincy.

The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1970, which in turn became part of the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway, now known as the BNSF Railway, in 1995. An interesting feature of the Chicago to Aurora line is that besides freight services, the BNSF Railway also runs commuter passenger trains under an arrangement with the Chicago transit authority, Metra. There is some talk of extending these passenger services from Aurora to Plano, Illinois.
System map of Metra. The Chicago to Aurora line is shown in light green. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons. To enlarge click here
LaGrange station on the Chicago to Aurora line. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Berwyn station on the Chicago to Aurora line. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
BNSF passenger service at Naperville, Illinois. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled