John Speller's Web Pages Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads
Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Railway Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The 63-mile Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway was founded in 1892 largely to carry the copper ore from the mines of Butte, Montana to the smelters of the Anaconda Copper Company at Anaconda, Montana, and is still operating today. In 1917 there were eight passenger trains daily, each consisting of three to five passenger and baggage cars. Passenger service was withdrawn in 1955. In 1913 it became the first primarily freight railroad to electrify its lines, though electrification was abandoned in favor of diesel-electric locomotives in 1967. There was certainly no shortage of copper for the overhead lines!
Map of the Butte, Anaconfa & Pacific Railway
Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Railway 2,400V DC electric locomotive No. 46 built by General Electric in 1916. Similar locomotives were supplied to the Canadian Northern Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
BA&PR 0-6-0 Switcher No. 6 at Anaconda in around 1910
BA&PR 4-8-0 No. 24, one of three "Mastodons" purchased from the Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1906, and disposed of after electrifcation in 1917 to the General Equipment Co., who presumably sold them to another railroad. Other steam locomotives were disposed of in various ways. A couple of 1906 Brooks 2-8-0s, Nos. 10 & 11 were sold to the Great Northern Railway, where they became Nos. 1326 & 1327. Two more Brooks 2-8-0s of 1907 and 1910, Nos. 28 & 29, were sold to the Tooele Valley Railway in Utah, where they became Nos. 10 & 9.
Site Contents Untitled