John Speller's Web Pages Atlantic and Great Western Railroad

John Speller's Web Pages - US Railroads

Atlantic and Great Western Railroad Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The 6-foot-gauge Atlantic and Great Western Railroad, which ran from Salamanca, New York to Dayton, Ohio, began as three separate railroads: the Erie and New York City Railroad based in Jamestown, New York; the Meadville Railroad based in Meadville, Pennsylvania; and the Franklin and Warren Railroad based in Franklin Mills, Ohio. On 8 October 1852 the directors of the three railroads held a meeting in Cleveland and began working closely together to plan joint expansion of the "Great Broad Route," the Erie Railroad. A formal merger of the three companies as the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad took place on 19 August 1865. Following several bankruptcies the company became part of the Erie Railroad. The 6-foot gauge was converted and 4' 8"-gauge running began on 22 August 1880.
Arrival of the first Atlantic & Great Western Railroad train from New York City at Jamestown, 31 August 1860
Danforth, Cooke & Co. 4-4-0 Locomotive No. 16, built for the 6' 0" gauge Atlantic & Great Western Railroad in 1862
A&GWRR 6 ft. gauge 4-4-0 No. 71 was built by Breese, Kneeland & Co. at the Jersey City Locomotives Works in 1865 and was capable of burning either wood or coal
Narrowing of the 6 ft. gauge on the Atlantic & Great Western Railway at Meadville, Pennsylvania, in 1880
Site Contents Untitled