John Speller's Web Pages Sandgate Branch (SER)

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Sandgate Branch (SER) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The The South Eastern Railway's Sandgate Branch was authorized by the South Eastern Railway Act of 1872 to build a 3-mile double tracked railway from Sandling on the main line to Folkestone and Dover via Hythe (Kent) to Sandgate, and the first sod was cut a few weeks later. The line ran pretty well parallel to the South Eastern main line between Sandling and Shorncliffe, and it was originally intended to continue to Folkestone as a new line to the Continent, for which extension an Act was obtained in 1876. 0nly the section to Sandling was built, however, and opened to traffic on 9 October 1874. Traffic was not surprisingly disappointing, especially since the terminus was in the village of Seabrook, quite a way short of Sandling itself. The line to Sandgate closed beyond Hythe on 1 April 1931, and the remainder of the branch to Hythe was singled. The line closed in the Second World War between 1941 and 1943, but then reopened with a skeleton service of two trains each was daily. Final closure came during the post-War fuel crisis on 3 December 1951, after which Sandling station was renamed "Sandling for Hythe."

Map of the Sandgate Branch of the South Eastern Railway
Opening of the Sandgate Branch by HRH Francis, Duke of Teck (1837-1900), on 9 October 1874
Cutting the first sod of the Sandgate Branch in 1872
Sandgate railway station in a postcard view of around 1905
Site Contents Untitled