John Speller's Web Pages Minster & Deal Railway (SER)

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Minster & Deal Railway (SER) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The South Eastern Railway’s line from Canterbury to Ramsgate and Margate opened as far as Minster on 13 April 1846. A few weeks later an Act of 8 July 1846 authorized the building of the 8 mile 64 chain Minster & Deal Railway under the auspices of the South Eastern Railway, which opened on 1 July 1847. The branch was built as a double-tracked line, but traffic proved disappointingly sparse and with the permission of the Board of Trade it was singled in 1855.

Since the opening of the Dover & Deal Joint Railway on 15 June 1881 many trains have run through from Dover to Ramsgate. To facilitate this a triangular junction was created, avoiding the need for Ramsgate to Dover trains to reverse at Minster.

A short branch was built from just north of Deal to Betteshanger Colliery which operated between 1924 and 1989.

Electric service, on the 750V DC third rail system, was introduced on 18 June 1962.
Map of the Minster & Deal Railway and connecting lines
The terminus at Deal at the time of opening in 1847. This now forms a through station for trains from Ramsgate to Dover, though the overall roof no longer survives
A view of the Minster & Deal Railway at Richborough, with the ruins of the Roman fort in the background, at the time of opening in 1847
Sandwich station at the time of opening in 1847
Site Contents Untitled