John Speller's Web Pages Mid Kent Railway (Bromley to St. Mary's Cray)

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Mid Kent Railway (Bromley to St. Mary's Cray) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Mid Kent Railway was authorized by an Act of 21 1856 to build from Bromley at the West End of London and Crystal Palace, to St. Mary Cray. The authorized capital was 70,000 in 10 shares, with powers to borrow and additional 23,000. The Chairman was William Dent and the Secretary was William Aggas. The line opened from Bromley (now Shortlands) to Southborough Road (now Bickley), a distance of 2 miles, on 5 July 1858 and the remainding 2 miles of the line to St Mary Cray opened on 3 December 1860. By an additional Act of 7 August 1862 the line was leased for 999 years to the London, Chatham & Dover Railway, which gave it an additional route to Victoria without the necessity of running over the South Eastern. The line was electrified as from 1 May 1934.
Map of the Mid Kent Railway and connections
Up electric Dover to Victoria Express at Bickley, 2 March 1961. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
A still rustic-looking St Mary Cray station in a postcard view of around 1905
A bleak St. Mary Cray station on 27 May 2009, with not so much as a bus shelter in sight. . Image Copyright Stacey Harris and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled