John Speller's Web Pages Martley Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Martley Locomotives Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
From 1858 William Cubitt, the company's Chief Engineer, acted as Locomotive Superintendent. The LC&DR's locomotive policy began with an unfortunate tangle with Crampton type express locomotives that proved to be highly unsatisfactory at speed. Cubitt was succeeded by William Martley (1824-1874), who had trained under Sir Daniel Gooch on the Great Western and James Pearson on the Bristol & Exeter, as Locomotive Superintendent from 1860 to 1874. Martley did his best to rebuild the ill-begotten Cramptons, but by the time he had finished little if anything was left. Martley produced a number of sound and reliable designs. As E. L. Ahrons commented of the LC&DR, its "locomotives were excellent, but the carriages were always poverty-stricken rabbit hutches." In Martley's time the locomotives were painted green, lined out in black and white. The coaches were finished in varnished teak, and goods wagons in light gray.
Martley 6ft. 6in. "Europa" Class 2-4-0 No. 56 "America," built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1873
Martley "F" Class 2-4-0T No. 63, built 1865. These locomotives were ostensively rebuilds of the unfortunate 4-4-0 Cramptons that formed the LC&DR's original locomotive stock, but were to all intents and purposes new engines
Martley "Small Scotchman" 0-4-2 well tank "Erin" built by Neilson & Co. in 1866 to a design based on one of Archibald Sturrock's designs for the Great Northern Railway. It is shown here as subsequently rebuilt with cab. Martley's cab shows a distinct similarity to those of the Bristol & Exeter Railway designed by James Pearson, under whom Martley had served in the 1850s
Martley "Tiger" Class 2-4-0 "Swallow" built 1861. Image Copyright Tony Hisgett and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Site Contents Untitled