John Speller's Web Pages London, Chatham & Dover Railway Broad Gauge

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR

LC&DR Broad Gauge Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
Extract from the Rule Book of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway, 1878:
Where the Mixed Gauge is laid, detonators must be placed on each rail, both for broad and narrow gauge trains.

What we think of as a single entity, London's Victoria Station was for a long time two separate stations. One of these was the property of the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, and the other, built by an entity known as the Victoria Station & Pimilco Railway was a joint enterprise of the London, Chatham & Dover and Great Western Railways. For this reason the mixed gauge was laid into Victoria Station. 1 April 1863 thus saw both Great Western broad gauge and Chatham Company narrow gauge trains running between Southall, Kensington and Victoria Station, making use of the West London Railway. The experiment was not a success and the broad gauge trains had all been taken off by October 1866.

The London, Chatham & Dover Railway's broad gauge rolling stock appears to have been limited to three horse boxes.

The Southern Railway purchased the Great Western Railway's interest in Victoria Station in 1932.
Mixed gauge at Victoria Station, circa 1865
Postcard view of Victoria Station shortly after the rebuilding of the Chatham side to the designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1906. Note the names of both companies -- "South Eastern & Chatham Railway" and "Great Western Railway" -- above the entrance to the carriage road
GWR broad gauge horsebox, circa 1865. The LC&DR ones might have been similar
"Illustrated London News" illustration of Victoria Station in 1865
Site Contents Untitled