John Speller's Web Pages The Hundred of Hoo Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
The Hundred of Hoo Railway (SER) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Hundred of Hoo Railway was incorporated by an Act of 21 July 1879 to construct a line from Shorne, by a junction with the South Eastern Railway to Stoke. Length: 9 miles 4 chains and 16 yards. Period for completion of works, five years. Agreements with South Eastern. Capital, 80,000 in 10 shares, with power to divide into "preferred" and "deferred" half-shares. Loans or debenture stock, 26.600. By act of 2 August 1880 the company obtained powers to extend their line to St. James, Isle of Grain (about 3 miles). Period for completion of works, 5 years. New capital 200.000 in ordinary or preference stock. Additional borrowing powers, 65,000. The terminus in the Medway estuary became known as Port Victoria where there was a 400-foot timber pier reaching into the estuary from which the South Eastern Railway ran a continental ferry service in opposition to the service of the Chatham company from Queenborough. The line opened for traffic on 11 September 1882. The pier required extensive repairs following a storm in 1896 and was again repaired and cut back to 100 feet in 1932, by which time there were only two trains each way daily on the line. A short branch was opened from Stoke Junction to Allhallows on the north coast on 16 May 1932 in an attempt to stimulate the local tourist trade. The pier was closed and demolished in 1941 and the passenger service between Stoke Junction and Port Victoria ceased on 11 June 1951. The remainder of the line, together with the Allhallows Branch closed on 4 December 1961.
Map of the Hundred of Hoo Railway
Cliffe station in a postcard view of around 1905. Note the rather uncomfortable-looking steel-sleepered track
Sharnell Street station in around 1920 showing an ex-SER "C" Class 0-6-0 goods engine. Note the pump for the Westinghouse Brake
Passenger train behind an ex-SE&CR "H" Class 0-4-4T at Port Victoria station in around 1930. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled