John Speller's Web Pages London & Greenwich Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
London & Greenwich Railway Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The London & Greenwich Railway was the first public railway in London and received its Act of Parliament in 1833. The six-mile-long line ran from a terminus at Tooley Street station (from the nickname of the nearby Church of St. Olave's, Southwark), now known as London Bridge. It was a rather daring enterprise for the time, much of it being built on a brick viaduct of no fewer than 678 arches, including several skew arches. This was done to avoid blocking the streets. The line opened from Bermondsey to Deptford on 8 February 1836, from Bermondsey to Tooley Street on 14 December 1836, and from Deptford to Greenwich on 28 December 1838. It was originally intended to extend the line to Dover, but this eventually fell to two other companies, the South Eastern and the London, Chatham & Dover. The London & Croydon Railway, which was built shortly after the London & Greenwich, originally shared London Bridge station, but then the London & Greenwich built another station at Bricklayer's Arms, leaving the London Bridge station to the London & Croydon. It soon became evident that it would make more sense for the London & Greenwich to have London Bridge so that the two companies would become independent of each other and not have to cross each other's lines, so the two railways swapped termini. The London & Greenwich Railway was leased by the south Eastern Railway on 1 January 1845, though it continued as a nominally independent company until the Grouping of 1923.
Map of the London & Greenwich Railway
Bermondsey Viaduct with St. Olave's, Southwark in the background
London & Greenwich Railway train crossing the 678-arch Bermondsey Viaduct
SER Cudworth 2-2-2 as used on the London & Greenwich Railway in the late 1840s
Site Contents Untitled