John Speller's Web Pages Forrester Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Forrester Locomotives Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
One of the lesser-known locomotive manufactories of the nineteenth was George Forrester & Company of Vauxhall Works, Liverpool. The firm was founded in 1827 and began building locomotives in 1834. Their last and largest order for locomotives was for fifteen locomotives supplied to the South Eastern Railway in 1847, after which they diversified into other forms of engineering. The fact that Walter Fergus MacGregor, one of the Directors of George Forrester & Company, was the brother of James MacGregor , the Chairman and General Manager of the South Eastern Railway, may have had something to do with the Forrester firm obtaining the order. The locomotives were 2-4-0 engines of the long boiler type, with outside cylinders 15 in. x 26 in. and 5 ft. 0 in. driving wheels and 3 ft. 6 in. leading wheels. They were numbered 21-23, 28, 30, 38, 42, 45-54, 60, 61, and 63. In 1854 Nos. 46 to 51 were rebuilt with Cudworth boilers and 5 ft. 6 in. driving wheels. They were employed on the London to Dover expresses until withdrawal in the early 1870s and enjoyed an excellent reputation.
South Eastern Railway 2-4-0 locomotive No. 50 as rebuilt by Cudworth in 1854. Illustration from the Railway Magazine for 1907
Site Contents Untitled