John Speller's Web Pages Chipstead Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Chipstead Valley Railway Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
What is now called the Tattenham Corner line was first authorized as the Chipstead Valley Railway in 1893, a line of 7 miles 38 chains from near Purley to Kingswood in Surrey. The line diverges eastwards from the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway main line at Purley, then splitting from the South Eastern Railway's Caterham branch and running westwards below the Brighton line. It was largely the brainchild of Sir Cosmo Bonsor (1848-1929), M.P. for Kingswood, and later Chairman of the South Eastern Railway. The line was to be worked by the South Eastern Railway who already had running rights over the Brighton line from Purley to London Bridge. An additional Act of 1894 authorized the Epsom Downs Extension Railway, which took the line an additional 3 furlongs 4 chains to a terminus right on the racecourse at Tattenham Corner. For many years the Royal Train used the line to bring the King to Tattenham Corner Racecourse for the Derby. The Engineer was Sir John Wolfe-Barry (1836-1918). The line was opened in several stages. It first opened as a single-track railway as far as Kingswood on 2 November 1897, and then to Chipstead & Banstead Downs in 1899. The line was further extended to Tadworth on 1 July 1900. In November 1900 the track was doubled and on Derby Day, 4 June 1901, trains finally ran through to Tattenham Corner. The Tattenham Corner branch was absorbed by the South Eastern Railway in 1899 and thus became part of the Southern Railway in 1923. It was electrified on the 660V DC third rail system in March 1928.
Map of the Chipstead Valley and Epsom Downs Extension Railways
Chipstead & Banford Downs station before the track was doubled in 1901
Tattenham Corners station had no fewer than six platforms and in its heyday serviced more than 250,000 passengers on Derby Day
Plan of Tattenham Corner station
Site Contents Untitled