< Shortlands & Nunhead Railway John Speller's Web Pages Shortlands & Nunhead Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - SE&CR
Shortlands & Nunhead Railway (Catford Loop, LC&DR) Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Shortlands & Nunhead Railway was incorporated by an Act of 12 August 1889 to build an 8-mile line from Nunhead on the London, Chatham & Dover Railway’s Greenwich Park Branch to Shortlands on the LC&DR’s main line, primarily as a means of relieving congestion on the LC&DR between Herne Hill and Bromley. The line was worked by the Chatham company and opened on 1 July 1892. It was vested in the LC&DR by an Act of 7 August 1896. The intermediate stations were at Crofton Park, Catford, Bellingham, Beckenham Hill and Ravensbourne. The line, later known as the Catford Loop, was electrified by the Southern Railway on 12 July 1925.

Bridge on the Catford Loop. Image © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Crofton Park station in 2008. Image © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Beckenham Hill station on 28 August 1962. Image © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Site Contents Untitled