John Speller's Web Pages Yorkshire Engine Company

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Yorkshire Engine Company Untitled Untitled
The Yorkshire Engine Company began building locomotives at Meadowhall Works in Sheffield in 1865. They exported locomotives all over the world, and built some large locomotives, but specialized in small 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tank engines. The firm was taken over by the United Steel Corporation and began building diesel-electric locomotives in 1950 and diesel-hydraulic locomotives in 1960, including some 0-8-0 shunters. Locomotive production ceased in 1965 after which the Meadowhall Works was converted to manufacturing reinforcing steel for concrete.
An 0-6-6-0 Double Fairlie built by the Yorkshire Engine Company 1876 for Mexican State Railways was probably the largest locomotive in the world at the time it was built. Perhaps because it was too heavy for the line it was returned to the makers in 1878 and sold to the East & West Junction Railway. There it was the cause of a legal dispute between the East & West Junction Railway and the Northampton & Banbury Railway, who tried to prevent the E&WJR operating the locomotive over their line on the grounds that it was excessively heavy and with a width of 10 feet it overhung the platforms at Towcester. Besides Robert Fairlie, the E&WJR brought in an expert witness from the Midland Railway in their support, while an expert witness from the London & South Western Railway spoke in favor of the Northampton & Banbury. The court found in favor of the E&WJR, after which the Fairlie seems to have disappeared from history. The Yorkshire Engine Co. also built a very pretty 2-4-0T for the E&WJR, which later went to the National Coal Board and became the last surviving locomotive from the E&WJR.
In 1915 the Yorkshire Engine Company built four Class “G” 5 ft. 9 in. 0-6-4 tank locomotives for the , Metropolitan Railway.” The design, produced by the Metropolitan Railway’s Charles Jones, was heavily influenced by J. G. Robinson of the Great Central Railway, whose tracks the Metropolitan shared between London and Aylesbury.
The Lodge Hill & Upnor Railway (originally the Chattenden & Upnor Railway) and the Kingsnorth Light Railway were parts of a 2 ft. 6 in. gauge Admiralty railway in the Hundred of Hoo in Kent. No. 2, “Lord Kitchener” was one of two 0-6-2T locomotives supplied to the line by the Yorkshire Engine Company in 1905
Matthew Stirling heavy goods 0-8-0 locomotive No. 117, built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. for the Hull & Barnsley Railway in 1916
Site Contents Untitled Untitled