John Speller's Web Pages Those amazing Brighton "Terriers"

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Those amazing Brighton "Terriers" Untitled Untitled
The Brighton Class “A” or “Terrier” 0-6-0T was designed by William Stroudley (1833-1889). They were built for suburban traffic in the London tunnels and were originally fitted with condensing apparatus. They were very powerful for their size and their 4 ft. driving wheels gave them excellent acceleration between stations.

The “Terriers” were based on an earlier Stroudley 0-6-0T design of 1868 for the Highland Railway, Driving wheels – 3’ 8”, Cylinders – 12”x 20”, Pressure – 120 lb., Tractive effort – 9,087lb., Weight – 26 tons. Three of these were built for shunting at Inverness – No. 56 "Balnain," No.57, "Lochgorm," and No. 16, "St. Martins." By comparison, the Brighton "A" Class had Driving wheels – 4’ 0”, Cylinders – 14”x 20”, Pressure – 150 lb., Tractive effort – 7,650 lb., Weight – 28 tons, and 50 were built at Brighton between 1872 and 1880. No. 40 "Brighton" was exhibited at the Paris Exhibition of 1878, where it was awarded a gold medal for workmanship.

The "Terriers", so named for the distinctive sound of their exhaust, had a very long life and three of them continued in service on British Railways on the Hayling Island Branch until the closure of the line in November 1963. Several of them, now nearly a century-and-a-half old, are still at work on heritage lines today. Besides the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, the Southern Railway, and British Railways, they worked on the London & South Western Railway (2), the South Eastern & Chatham Railway (1), the Isle of Wight Central Railway (4), the Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway (1), Kent & East Sussex Railway (2), the Edge Hill Light Railway (2), the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway (3), and the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway, and the Great Western Railway (2), giving the railway modeler quite a choice of liveries! Furthermore, four of them were sold to the contractors, Pauling & Co., for building the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway between Northfield Junction and High Wycombe, and a number were sold to the Admiralty for use in Naval dockyards. No fewer than 10 of them have been preserved, including one in Canada.

A very curious locomotive shunting at Taunton. View westwards, towards Taunton station, Exeter etc.: ex-GWR London/Bristol - Taunton and the South-west main line. Taken on impulse from a passing train - hence the poor quality, the scene shows an ex-GW 0-6-0T with an unusual history. This is No. 5 "Portishead", a London, Brighton & South Coast Stroudley 0-6-0T built at Brighton in 1877 as class A1 No. 43 "Gipsy Hill", rebuilt to A1X in 1919, purchased by the Weston, Cleveland & Portishead Light Railway in 12/25 as their No. 2 "Portishead". The impecunious WC&P Railway was closed abruptly in 5/40 and its stock acquired by the GWR, which found only two (GWR Nos. 5 and 6) of its engines serviceable. They were first put to work on the Bristol Harbour lines but No. 6 lasted only until 1/48: No. 5 was then sent to work at Taunton (later Newton Abbot) until 1/50 when it was put in Store at Swindon and eventually withdrawn in 3/54. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
No. 3 "Bodiam," as restored and running in Kent & East Sussex Railway livery. Image © copyright Bluebellnutter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License. Video of this locomotive running on the K&ESR in British Railways Mixed Traffic livery may be seen here
Postcard view of Isle of Wight Central Railway “Terrier” No. 11 at Newport. This was originally No. 40 "Brighton," the locomotive that won a gold medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1878, and still operates on the Isle of Wight today
Postcard view of Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway “Terrier” No. 2 “Freshwater” at Newport. Renumbered "No. 8" by the Southern Railway in 1923, this locomotive is still at work on the Isle of Wight and may be seen on video here
Site Contents Untitled