John Speller's Web Pages North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway
Untitled Untitled
The North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway largely served the clay pits of North Devon, connecting the Southern Railway's Torrington Branch with the Southern main line at Halwill Junction. Originally built as a 3 ft. gauge tramway it was converted to a 4 ft. 8 in. gauge light railway under the auspices of Colonel Stephens and reopened on 27 July 1925. Although the line relied primarily on clay traffic, it also ran a limited passenger service. Although worked by the Southern Railway, the line remained nominally independent until nationalization on 1 January 1948. The line closed on 1 March 1965 under the Beeching Axe. Perhaps it would have stood more chance of survival if a through Okehampton to Barnstaple service had been operated.
Map of the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway and connections. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The original 3 ft. gauge tramway at the Marland Clay Company's works in around 1914. The locomotive was built by Fletcher, Jennings & Co. for the St. Helier Breakwater Railway and sold to the ND&CJR in 1908
Hatherleigh station in around 1960. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Construction of the new viaduct over the River Torridge at Great Torrington. The old timber viaduct that carried the tramway over the river can still be seen alongside
Site Contents Untitled