John Speller's Web Pages Rowrah & Kelton Fell Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Rowrah & Kelton Fell Railway Untitled Untitled
The Rohrah & Kelton Fell Railway was projected by two brothers with iron ore interests in the English Lake District, William Baird (1796-1864) of William Baird & Co., and James Baird (1802-1876), managing partner of the Lonsdale Haematite Iron Co. The 4-mile line was authorized by an Act of 16 July 1874 with a capital of 30,000 and was constructed by Messrs. Harrison & Hodgson of Workington. The line opened on 1 January 1877 and was worked by William Baird & Co. Although it ran within 2 miles of Emmerdale Lake and might have been exploited as a tourist line, the R&KFR never ran a passenger service, though miners and other workmen were doubtless conveyed between the mines. The line also transported coal from the mines of Sir William Lowther, First Earl of Lonsdale, and his agent Robert A. Robinson, one of the promoters of the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway, was a Director. Other Directors included Andrew Kirkwood McCosh and John Alexander, who were both employees of William Baird & Co. In 1884 the Engineer was A. H, Strongitharm. Thomas Howson was the Secretary and William Rankine the General Manager. 0-4-0 saddle tank, "Kelton Fell," built for the line by Neilson & Co. of Glasgow in 1876, has been preserved by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at Falkirk. Following the closure of the iron mines the Rowrah & Kelton Fell Railway ceased operation in 1927 and was sold in 1933, and dismantled in 1934.
1904 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the location of the Rowrah & Kelton Fell Railway
Builders' photograph of 3 ft. 8 in. 0-4-0ST "Kelton Fell" built by Neilson & Co. in 1876. This locomotive was similar to the LNER "Y-9" Class, originally designed by Neilson for the North British Railway
William Baird (1796-1864) of Gartsherrie
"Kelton Fell" as preserved at Falkirk. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled