John Speller's Web Pages Colne Valley & Halstead Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Colne Valley & Halstead Railway
Untitled Untitled
The Colne Valley & Halstead was authorized by an Act of Parliament of 30 June 1856 to build a line from Chappel and Wakes Colne railway station and Halstead in Essex. The section from Chappel (north of Marks Tey) to Halstead opened on 16 April 1860, followed by Halstead to Castle Hedingham on 1 July 1861, Castle Hedingham to Yeldham on 26 May 1862, and Yeldham to Haverhill on 10 May 1863. The line remained independent until it became part of the London & North Eastern Railway at the Grouping of 1923. The line closed to passenger traffic on 1 January 1962 and to goods traffic in 1965. Part of the line at Castle Hedingham has subsequently been reopened as a Heritage Railway under the name of the Colne Valley Railway.
Sharp, Stewart 2-2-2 built originally in 1849 for the Brighton Railway and transferred to the CV&HR in 1855, and shown at Halstead Shed with Driver: C. Taunton. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Colne Valley & Halstead Railway 2-4-0T "Brewster" built by E. B. Wilson & Co. in 1851. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The preserved Castle Hedingham station on the Colne Valley Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of the Colne Valley & Halstead Railway and connections
Site Contents Untitled