John Speller's Web Pages Glyn Valley Tramway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Glyn Valley Tramway Untitled Untitled
The Glyn Valley Tramway was a 2 ft. 41/2 in. gauge railway which served several slate and granite quarries, and ran westwards for 81/4 miles from the Great Western main line at Chirk near Wrexham. Passenger service operated on the eastern 61/2 miles of the line. The line operated from 1873 until abandonment in July 1935.

The line was originally operated by two tram engines Sir Theodore and Dennis, purchased from Beyer, Peacock & Co.in 1873. These were joined by a third tram engine of slightly different design, Glyn, in 1892. A fourth engine was purchased from the War Department in 1921 and re-gauged from its original 1 ft. 111/2 in. by Beyer Peacock.

One of the original coaches was rescued and now runs of the Tallyllyn Railway. Recently a preservation group, the Glyn Valley Tramway & Industrial Heritage Trust has begun operations with a view to restoring part or all of the line.

Map of the Glyn Valley Tramway
Glyn Valley Tramway mixed train at Glyn Ceiriog in around 1885
"Dennis," one of the two original Beyer, Peacock tram engines of 1873
Beyer, Peacock tram engine "Glyn," supplied to the Glyn Valley tramway in 1892
Site Contents Untitled