John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Knott End Railway Untitled Untitled
The Garstang & Knot-End Railway was incorporated by Act of Parliament on 30 June 1864 to build an eleven-and-a-half mile railway from Garstang & Catterall on the West Coast Main Line to Knott End-on-Sea. The seven-mile section to Pilling opened on 5 December 1870, but the company then ran out of funds and it was not until 1898 that a separate company, the Knott End Railway, was incorporated to build the remaining four-and-a-half miles of line to Knott End-on-Sea. This was opened on 29 July 1908 and the Knott End Railway then absorbed the original Garstang & Knot-End Railway. A one-and-a-half mile siding was built in 1908 to service the Preesall Salt Mines and this commodity was responsible for most of the mineral traffic on the line. The railway connected with the small ferry between the pier at Knott End and Fleetwood. The Knott End Railway became the smallest constituent company of the LMS at the Grouping of 1923. Passenger service was withdrawn on 29 March 1930 and goods services were withdrawn by British Railways on 31 July 1963.
Garstang & Knott End Railway and connections
Postcard view of the Knott End extension under construction, c. 1905. The locomotive is 0-6-0ST "New Century" built by Hudswell, Clarke & Co. in 1900. It had 3 ft. 6 in driving wheels and was painted in the Knott End Railway's distinctive livery of maroon lined out in black, white and red
Garstang and Knot-End Railway 0-6-0ST "Farmer's Friend," nicknamed the "Pilling Pig," built by Hudswell, Clarke & Co., 1875. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Knott End Railway third class corridor coach, 1908
Site Contents Untitled