John Speller's Web Pages Great North of Scotland Railway Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Great North of Scotland Railway Locomotives Untitled Untitled
William Cowan (1823-1898) was appointed the Locomotive Superintendent of the Great North of Scotland in 1857 and remained until 1883 when he left to take up a job with the German company, Krupps. He was succeeded by James Manson (1845-1935), who had apprenticed on the Glasgow & South Western Railway, and was Locomotive Superintendent of the GNoSR from 1883 until 1890, when he returned to the G&SWR. Manson was succeeded in 1890 by James Johnson, who had trained on the Midland Railway under his father, S. W. Johnson, and was responsible for introducing a fine class of 0-4-4 tanks. Johnson left in 1894 to work for a West of England engineering firm, and was replaced by William Pickersgill (1861-1929), who was recruited to the GNoSR from the Great Eastern Railway. On Mr. Pickersgillís retirement in 1914, Thomas E. Heywood (1877-1953) was brought in from the Taff Vale Railway and remained with the GNoSR until the Grouping of 1923. Through almost all of its existence, passenger traffic on the GNoSR was handled by a succession of 4-4-0s, each developed from its predecessors, and for a long time among the finest locomotives of their kind.
Often attributed to William Cowan, but in fact purchased before his arrival, No. 14 was one of two 4 ft. 6 in. 0-4-0 well tanks purchased from Beyer, Peacock & Co. In 1856 for working the Aberdeen Harbour branch
James Manson Class P and Q Classes 4-4-0 (LNER Class D-43 and D-38) of 1890 and 1889. Six locomotives built with 6 ft. 6½ in coupled wheels. Designed to run non-stop from Aberdeen to Elgin so fitted with 8-wheel tenders Ė leading bogie and two fixed trailing wheels. 4 tons of coal and 3,000 gallons of water
James Manson Class E (LNER Class J-91) 0-6-0T. Three locomotives were built to this design by Kitsons in 1885., as a development of Mansonís D Class, with a slightly lower axle weight achieved by placing the boiler a little further forward on the frames.
James Johnsonís Class R (LNER Class G-10) 0-4-4T for suburban passenger work. The class was introduced in 1893 and a total of 9 locomotives were built to this design with 5 ft. 0 in. coupled wheels
Site Contents Untitled