John Speller's Web Pages Great North of Scotland Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Great North of Scotland Railway Untitled Untitled
The Great North of Scotland Railway was incorporated by an Act of 26 June 1846. Its original intent was to build a line from the North British Railway at Aberdeen to Inverness, but it never got further than Elgin and had to rely on running powers over the rival Highland Railway for trains to Inverness. Nevertheless over the years the G.N.S.R. built quite a network of lines in north-east Scotland, and operated as an extremely smart and efficient little railway. Its trains were comfortable and punctual, its locomotives were superb (some of its "F" Class locomotives were even supplied to the South Eastern & Chatham Railway), and its staff took an enormous pride in their work. This was all an amazing achievement considering that its operated in a sparsely populated area where there was little chance of profitable traffic. Through trains to London King's Cross were run in conjunction with the North British, North Eastern and Great Northern Railways. The Great North of Scotland also had a royal palace Balmoral on its line, and the fact that Queen Victoria was one of its best customers could not have done its prestige a lot of harm. The line became part of the London & North Eastern Railway at the Grouping of 1923.
Map of the Great North of Scotland Railway
William Pickersgill's celebrated "F" Class 4-4-0 (LNER Class "D-40")
Cruden Bay station in a postcard view of around 1910. The train consists of a 4-4-0 locomotive plus three coaches two in North British teak livery and one in Great North of Scotland purple lake and cream
William Cowan's 4-4-0 No. 41, built in 1864. Note the curious four-wheel tender, apparently prepared for an additional two wheels
Site Contents Untitled