John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Untitled Untitled Findhorn Railway (HR)
Findhorn is today best known for the spiritual community at the Findhorn Ecovillage, famous for growing giant vegetables. In the nineteenth century it was an important northern Scottish port for the transportation of fish, corn and other commodities.

The Findhorn Railway was Incorporated by Act of 19 April 1859 to construct a 3-mile line from the a junction with the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway, near Kinloss, to the town of Findhorn. There was an authorized capital of 9,000 in 10 shares with the option to borrow an additional 3,000. The original Chairman was James Forbes, with James Michie, Robert Mackessack, Sir Felix Calvert Mackenzie (b.1827), John Kynock and Robert Davidson. The Secretary was John David Davidson (1829-1904), a local solicitor who was also Treasurer of the Forres Savings Bank, Secretary of the Forres Gas Company, Secretary of the Forres Water Company, Chairman of the Forres School Board and agent for the British Linen Bank. The line opened on 18 April 1860 and possessed a single locomotive, a 0-4-0 box saddle tank named "Findhorn" and built for the railway by Neilson & Co. Works Number 422. The company found itself in difficulties and was therefore leased to the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway from 1 March 1862. The Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway in turn became part of the Highland Railway on 29 June 1865, when the locomotive "Findhorn" became H.R. No. 16. It was sold to the contractor building the Sutherland & Caithness Railway in September 1872

Traffic on the Findhorn Railway proved very disappointing and passenger service was withdrawn on 1 January 1869, while there seems to have been little goods traffic either after the departure of locomotive No. 16 in September 1872. One account states that the track was lifted in 1873. The company was liquidated and officially wound up in September 1880. Little evidence of its existence now remains.
Map of the Findhorn Railway
A Neilson 0-4-0ST box tank, similar to "Findhorn." This particular example, Works No. 370 of 1856, operated on the West Somerset Mineral Railway
Sir Felix Calvert Mackenzie (b. 1827), one of the Directors of the Findhorn Railway
Early twentieth century view of Findhorn. The depression on the left is the trackbed of the former Findhorn Railway. Image courtesy of Michael Ellison
Site Contents Untitled