John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway was incorporated by Act of Parliament on 14 August 1855, and the 20-mile line opened in 1858. It was absorbed by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, with which it connected at Cowlairs Junction, on 29 July 1862. At the same time the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway became part of the North British Railway. The line later formed the link between the West Highland line and the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Electrification was contemplated as part of a hydro-electric scheme as early as 1904, but did not actually take place until the late twentieth century.
Map of the Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway. To enlarge, right click and select "View Image"
The Pier at Craigendoran showing North British Railway paddle-steamer "Red Gauntlett" built in 1895
Edwardian elegance: the recently-restored Dumbarton Central station in 2001. Note the two-tone red- and honey-colored brickwork and the reproduction Edwardian lampposts
Road, canal, rail and river side-by-side at Bowling
Site Contents Untitled