John Speller's Web Pages Derwent Branch (M&CR)

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways
Derwent Branch (Maryport & Carlisle Railway) Untitled Untitled
The Maryport & Carlisle Railway opened its Derwent Branch from Bull Gill to the River Derwent at Brigham on 1 June 1867. The branch formed an important link between the M&CR and a number adjoining railways, including a connection with the Lake District. Between Bull Gill and Brigham there were intermediate stations at Dearham, Linefoot and Papcastle. There was also a private station between Papcastle and Dearham at Dovenby Lodge for the use of the Dykes family who owned Dovenby Hall. At Linefoot there was a junction with the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway's line to Calva Junction near Workington. The Maryport & Carlisle Railway also exercised running rights over the Cockermouth & Workington Railway (L&NWR) to Cockermouth. Trains from Maryport to Cockermouth, however, had to reverse at both Bull Gill and Brigham, with the result that the 12 mile journey took around 50 minutes. The LMS closed the Derwent Branch on 29 April 1935.
Map showing the location of the Derwent Branch of the Maryport & Carlisle Railway
Papcastle Station in around 1914
Maryport & Carlisle Railway 5 ft. 1 in. 0-4-4T No. 26, built in 1897 for working the Derwent Branch and scrapped by the LMS in 1923
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the southern part of the Derwent Branch
Site Contents Untitled