John Speller's Web Pages Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North British Railway
Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway North British Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Dundee & Arbroath Railway was authorized by Act of Parliament on 19 May 1836 to build a 16-mile 5 ft. 6 in. gauge line from Dundee to Arbroath on the east coast of Scotland. The Engineers were Grainger & Miller of Edinburgh. There was an authorized capital of 140,000. The line was completed on 2 April 1840. The line connected to another line of 5 ft. 6 in. gauge, the Arbroath and Forfar Railway, which had also been engineered by Grainger & Miller of Edinburgh, and opened on 3 January 1839. On 6 July 1847 the line was converted to 4 ft. 8 in. gauge in order to enable it connect with neighboring railways. On 31 January 1862 the Dundee & Arbroath Railway was absorbed by the Scottish North Eastern Railway, which itself became the joint property of the Caledonian and North British Railways on 1 February 1880, and subsequently passed jointly to the LMS and LNER at the Grouping of 1 January 1923. It is now an integral part of the East Coast Main Line to Aberdeen.

The Dundee & Arbroath Railway's first locomotive was a 5 ft. 6 in. 2-2-2 named "Wallace" and was built by Kimmond, Hutton & Steele of Dundee in 1838. It had inclined outside cylinders 13 in. 18 in. and cost 1,012 including tender. It is said to have been an outstanding locomotive of its day. Other early locomotives on the line were named "Griffin," "Fury," and "Rapid." The coaches also carried names, the 1st. class ones being "Antiquary," "Panmuir," "Broughty Castle," and "Patrick Robertson;" the composite coaches being "Antelope," "Stag," "Dolphin" and "Eagle;" and the third class carriages being "Orchiltree" and "Mucklebacket." ["Ochiltree" and "Mucklebacket" were both names in Sir Walter Scott's novel The Antiquary (1816).]
Map of the Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway and connections
East Coast Main Line express leaving Edinburgh, hauled by a North British Railway Reid "Atlantic" on a postcard of around 1914
The Victorian railway station at Monifieth on the Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway has been moved to Birkhill on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway, a heritage line in Scotland. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The substantial stone station at Broughty Ferry on the D&AR is happily preserved. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled