John Speller's Web Pages Redruth & Chasewater Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Other Railways

Redruth & Chasewater Railway Untitled Untitled
The 4' 0" gauge Redruth & Chasewater Railway was an early mineral line in Cornwall, opened in 1826. The trains were originally horse-drawn, but two steam locomotives were introduced in 1854. Not far from Redruth it ran through the village of Carharrack. After 36 years in bankruptcy the line closed in 1915.
This old postcard shows the Redruth & Chasewater Railway's third locomotive, "Spitfire," built by Neilson & Co. in September 1859, at Carharrack in about 1865.
Brunel's Carnon Viaduct, Perranwell, Perranarworthal, Cornwall, which carried the Great Western Railway over the Carnon River and the Redruth & Chasewater Railway, which can be seen in the right foreground
3' 6" six-coupled saddle-tank No. 2 "Miner," originally built as an 0-4-2ST by Neilson & Co. in 1854, and converted to an 0-6-0ST in 1869 at the R&CR's Devoran Works
Redruth & Chasewater 0-4-0ST "Smelter," built by Neilson & Co., 1854
Site Contents Untitled