John Speller's Web Pages Audley Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway

Audley Branch Untitled Untitled
The North Staffordshire Railway's Audley Branch, 7 mi. 27 ch. long, ran from Honeywall Junction near Keele on the Market Drayton Branch to Alsager East Junction on the line from Stoke to Crewe. The section between Alsager and Talke-o'-th'-Hill was constructed first and opened to coal traffic in 1860. The rest of the branch, between Talke and Honeywall Junction opened to goods traffic on 24 July 1870, and to passenger traffic on 1 July 1880, with intermediate stations at Leycett, Halmer End, Audley and Talke (later Alsager Road). Passenger service was withdrawn on 27 April 1931 and the line was singled in 1934. Final closure of the branch took place with the withdrawal of goods traffic in 1965. The line was very heavily graded, including a short section of 1:37 near Leycett. An additional connection from Leycett to Silverdale was laid in but never used.
Railway Clearing House Map showing the location of the Audley Branch of the North Staffordshire Railway
A view of the Audley Branch toward Leycett station, with Leycett crossing gates in the distance
Audley Station Bridge, shown on a postcard of around 1905
Alsager station on the Stoke to Crewe line, just to the west of the junction with the Audley Branch. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled