John Speller's Web Pages Norton Bridge Stone Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway
Norton Bridge Stone Railway Untitled Untitled
An 11-mile line from Norton Bridge on the London & North Western Railway's West Coast Main Line to Stone on the North Staffordshire Railway's main line from Colwich to Macclesfield enables the running of express trains from Birmingham to Manchester London Road via Stafford and Stoke-on-Trent. (Trains from Euston to Manchester not calling at Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton High Level proceed instead via Colwich.) The route formed part of the North Staffordshire Railway's first line. Following the formation of the North Staffordshire Railway, ground was first broken at Stone by Edward Jervis Jervis, Second Viscount St. Vincent (1767-1859) of Meaford Hall near Stone on 11 February 1847, and the line from Stoke-on-Trent to Norton Bridge was opened on 17 April 1848. The line was one of the first to be equipped with the electric telegraph. The North Staffordshire Railway made use of the London & North Western Railway's passenger station at Norton Bridge but maintained its own goods station 375 yards along their line from the junction with the L&NWR.
1902 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the Norton Bridge to Stone line
Goods train at Norton Bridge in around 1922 behind an L&NW "Prince of Wales" Class locomotive
The L&NWR passenger station at Norton Bridge on the West Coast Main Line, used by North Stafford services between Stoke and Stafford. Shown here in a postcard view of around 1905
The magnificent neo-Tudor station at Stone was designed by Sir Henry Arthur Hunt (1810-1889) and built in 1848. It is shown here happily preserved after 160 years in 2008. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled