John Speller's Web Pages Homepage

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway

Leek & Manifold Light Railway Untitled Untitled
The North Staffordshire Railway also operated the 2' 6" gauge Leek & Manifold Light Railway, a Pathé newsreel of which can be seen here. Note the North Staffordshire Railway standard gauge coal wagon piggy-backing on the narrow gauge. Another video clip may be found here.

The Leek & Manifold's 2-6-4 tank engines were built by Kitson & Co. of Leeds when the line opened in 1904. They were originally painted in a distinctive brown livery, but after the Grouping of 1923 the standard crimson livery of the LMS was substituted. The line closed in 1934.
Leek & Manifold Light Railway train in around 1925
Leek & Manifold train of 1904, comprising locomotive, "Transportation Wagon" (conveying North Staffordshire Railway 4' 8½" gauge truck), and third-class coach
Transportation Wagon with loaded North Stafford goods wagon
Everard Richard Calthrop (1857-1927), Engineer of the Leek & Manifold Light Railway
Site Contents Untitled