John Speller's Web Pages Biddulph Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - North Staffordshire Railway
Biddulph Valley Railway
Untitled Untitled
The 18-mile Potteries, Biddulph & Congleton Railway was authorized by an Act of 24 July 1854 to build a line through the Biddulph Valley from Bucknall Junction near Stoke to Congleton Upper Junction. There was an authorized capital of 190,000. The line's principal promoters were colliery owners James Bateman (1811-1897) of Biddulph Grange, his brother John Bateman (1810-1872) of Knypersley Hall, and the Mayor of Congleton. Construction began on 27 April 1858, when John Bateman cut the first sod at Childerplay. The line, worked by the North Staffordshire Railway, was partly opened for mineral traffic on 3 August 1859. An Act of 24 July 1859 authorized an additional 35,000 in order to complete the remaining 4 miles 15 chains of the line, and the whole line was opened for goods on 29 August 1860, and to passenger traffic on 1 June 1864. The line largely paralleled the North Staffordshire main line and traffic was always comparatively light. The line closed to passenger traffic on 11 July 1927, and was officially abandoned in 1969. Intermediate stations between Congleton Upper Junction and Bucknall Junction were Biddulph, Knypersley Halt, Bradley Green, Childerplay, Black Bull and Ford Green. Of these, only Biddulph (population 20,000) was of any consequence.A spur under the North Staffordshire main line connected with the station at Congleton.
North Staffordshire mineral train on the Biddulph Valley Railway behind an Adams "New L" Class 0-6-2T.
James Bateman (1811-1897) of Biddulph Grange, one of the chief promoters of the Biddulph Valley Railway
Ford Green Signalbox
Biddulph Station, with the Goods Shed on the right
Site Contents Untitled